Help understanding used power

Luca Bertoncello bertoncello at netzing.de
Mon Apr 4 12:43:16 UTC 2011

Am Mon, 04 Apr 2011 12:28:52 +0000
schrieb 246tnt at gmail.com:

> nominal power is the _specified_ max power of the BTS, it's used
> _only_ for display in openbts and is never transmitted and doesn't
> actually change anything.
> Basically it just tells OpenBSC how strong your BTS is so it can
> display it in the "show ..." commands. That's because without this,
> openbsc has no way to know it.
>
> max_power_red is the maximum power reduction compared to the nominal
> power applied by the BTS during power control. So 0 for max power.

Hi, Sylvain,

Thanks for your answer!
Nevertheless I can't understand how these parameters work...
I just set nominal power to 100, and then tried to change max_power_red.
With my spectrum analyzer I can't see any difference in the capacity. I
always receive signal with a capacity of about -13.30 dBm, regardless of
which max_power_red I wrote...

Could you please explain me this?

Thanks a lot again!
Luca
Luca Bertoncello
Entwicklung                               Mail:  bertoncello at netzing.de

NETZING Solutions AG                      Tel.:  0351/41381 - 23
Fröbelstr. 57, 01159 Dresden              Fax:   0351/41381 - 12

Impressum:
NETZING Solutions AG  -  Fröbelstraße 57   -   01159 Dresden
Sitz der Gesellschaft Amtsgericht Dresden HRB 18926
Vorstand  Dieter Schneider  -  Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender Volker Kanitz
USt.Id DE211326547  Mail:  netzing.ag at netzing.de