Help understanding used power

246tnt at gmail.com 246tnt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 12:28:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

> I'm trying to understand how the options "nominal power" and
> "max_power_red" work...

nominal power is the _specified_ max power of the BTS, it's used _only_ for
display in openbts and is never transmitted and doesn't actually change
anything.
Basically it just tells OpenBSC how strong your BTS is so it can display it
in the "show ..." commands. That's because without this, openbsc has no way
to know it.

max_power_red is the maximum power reduction compared to the nominal power
applied by the BTS during power control. So 0 for max power.

Cheers,

Sylvain

PS: Apparently nominal power _is_ sent to the BTS in the abis_om2000.c (for
the Ericsson BTS) ... Some custom configuration stuff I guess.