alternative bts

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Mon Apr 4 20:43:12 UTC 2011

Hi all,

A thread on the asterisk mailing list re-triggerd my memory.
Last november or so i asked if it might be possible to use a
gsm/umts-dongle as a bts. afaicr the general consensus was that it was
not possible because the proximity of TX and RX hardware.

I have been discussing it with my colleges today and wonder where we
were making the obvious thinking-mistake...

1) i know, that certainly at higher powers, the receiver becomes deaf in
the vincinity of a (high powered) transmitter, due to cirtuit overload,
but in our case we only needs a single miliwatt or even less....

2) scanning for multiple devices/frequencies is not needed.

[the idea is to connect to a single hand-held-device, that is only one
meter away, and feed voice through an existing IP-connection]

3) if a dongle is not usable for above reasons as a BTS, why is that
same dongle (more-or-less) capable as working as a handheld? Same
problems should occur as such, not?

http://wiki.e1550.mobi/doku.php

If they can tap in the device for audio/sms-client, it should also be
possible to do it the other way round, as a single-thread bts....

still puzzled, Hans