RRLP

Andreas Schmidt-Dannert aschmida at mailbox.tu-berlin.de
Tue Sep 7 19:15:05 UTC 2010

Hi Harald,

On 09/07/2010 04:45 PM, Harald Welte wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 01:57:56PM +0200, Andreas Schmidt-Dannert wrote:
>> Another thing is that I get placed in googlemaps to Sao Lazaro
>> (Macau) which is not really Berlin. It only happens when I am
>> connected to the NanoBTS and no other position can be retrieved. It
>> happens with a Nokia phone (N78) as well as with one from Motorola
>> (Milestone).
>> This is not a problem since it goes to the right position as soon as
>> it has found enough satellites but indoors and without A-GPS working
>> it places me to Sao Lazaro. Just curious what that could mean.
>>
> I would simply guess that it is some hard-coded default in case the MCC/MNC/LAC
> is not known to whichever entity on the network that decides your location
> based on that information.
>
> What kind of MCC / MNC are you using?  Have you tried changing them to
> one that exists in reality and checked where you get placed on the map now?

I used the default one in the config file but now I changed it first to
202-1 (Cosmote - Greece) and
than to 268-3 (Optimus - Portugal). They both placed me in the ocean
between Havanna and the Everglades. So it seems that something is
hard-coded in the SUPL server but why is this value not always the same
and why is that point so far away from Portugal/Greece?
Maybe I should try another SUPL  server and see if they place me at the
same place for the same MCC/MNC combination.

Thanks,

Andreas