Problem connecting to NanoBTS with current version of OpenBSC

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Sep 7 14:45:04 UTC 2010

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 01:57:56PM +0200, Andreas Schmidt-Dannert wrote:

> since last weekend GPRS is working and now I am about to understand
> what exactly happens when I turn on my Milestone to get a position
> fix in googlemaps.

great.

> Another thing is that I get placed in googlemaps to Sao Lazaro
> (Macau) which is not really Berlin. It only happens when I am
> connected to the NanoBTS and no other position can be retrieved. It
> happens with a Nokia phone (N78) as well as with one from Motorola
> (Milestone).
> This is not a problem since it goes to the right position as soon as
> it has found enough satellites but indoors and without A-GPS working
> it places me to Sao Lazaro. Just curious what that could mean.

I would simply guess that it is some hard-coded default in case the MCC/MNC/LAC
is not known to whichever entity on the network that decides your location
based on that information.

What kind of MCC / MNC are you using?  Have you tried changing them to
one that exists in reality and checked where you get placed on the map now?