Whether to include a cells own BCCH in the BCCH Allocation

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Mar 28 14:03:42 UTC 2010

Hi!

I don't exactly remember in which context I was last communicating with
whom of you about the question whether or not the BA of a cell should
include its own BCCH frequency or not.

I think from commercial networks we could see both behaviors, and it was
thus unclear what we should do for OpenBSC.

I've now found a reference for this in the GMS specs: GSM 3.22 Chapter
4.8:

> NOTE: The PLMN operator cannot expect the ME to store the BCCH or
> CPBCCH carrier frequency of the serving cell in the SIM unless the
> BA(BCCH) includes the BCCH or CPBCCH carrier frequency on which it is
> broadcast.

So now we know at least the difference when it comes to those two
options.