open bsc and lcr: layer_3 thread read socket error

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Jun 15 15:08:38 UTC 2010

Hi Richard,

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 02:19:08PM +0200, Richard Zahoransky wrote:

> my name is Richard and I am working on OpenBSC and LCR for my university. We
> plan to deploy a GSM-Network on the campus for research.

This is great news and exactly one of the reasons why we wrote OpenBSC in
the first place.

> We have successfully installed OpenBSC, Asterisk, LCR and mISDN. Lcr starts
> correctly (as far as I can say). The nanoBTS connects to OpenBSC and boot up.
> On the local machine, we can place outgoing calls with asterisk but when we
> dial from the cellphones, the lcr prints out: "layer3_thread read socket
> error No space left on device". I don't know if this is an error in LCR,
> OpenBSC, mISDN or just in my own config files.

I think rather than starting with the full setup, you should keep it simple
for the beginning.  Have you ever tried to run OpenBSC in stand-alone
mode, i.e. not linked against lcr?  Sure, you will only have a GSM island
without connection to the outside world, but it is a good way to ensure
that nanoBTS and OpenBSC work together as expected, and that your openbsc.cfg
is correct.

Once that is working, you can move to the lcr variant, and once that works,
start interfacing asterisk with it.