Ericsson RBS 2401 Status

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Sep 14 04:39:26 UTC 2009

Hi Celeb,

thanks for your status update.

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 07:03:53PM -0700, Caleb Pal wrote:

> The first was back in February  from Harald:
> http://lists.gnumonks.org/pipermail/openbsc/2009-February/000023.html. I
> didn't see any updates after that. Were there updates made to make the
> integration with other drivers easier?

There were no successive updates, but the restructuring of the input layer
indicated in that February post should make it already much easier.  I have
zero idea how the various E1 / T1 related API's look like, but at least from
my feeling a number of the E1 common bits have been factored out and the
driver should only need to deal with the minimum neccessary device-specific
parts.

> The next I found was in March from Klaus-Peter Junghann:
> http://lists.gnumonks.org/pipermail/openbsc/2009-March/000064.html. It looks
> like he actually got the Zaptel driver to work. I'm not sure how much of
> Zaptel has changed when the driver set was renamed to DAHDI. I did not see a
> post from Mr. Junghann with the zaptel input module he spoke of.

Klaus-Peter: Can you please provide your patches?  I know they are likely
against an old version of OpenBSC and might be more a quick hack than an actual
OpenBSC input driver.  However, I'd rather see us work from that code than to
duplicate your efforts.  Thanks.

> I'm not sure what the interest level is with getting OpenBSC to integrate
> with Ericsson RBS's? Like I previously mentioned, I am not much of a coder,
> so I can't help much in that department. That being said, I am willing to
> provide remote access to all the resources I have here (Debian Linux 5.0
> Server, RBS 2401, Windows LMT). I can also provide access to a spec an
> (which would be accessed via software on the Windows LMT) if needed down the
> road. I am going to look into a STA to test on a couple ARFCN's in the
> GSM1900 band, and I am more than willing to help with handset debugging at
> that stage. I have quite a few different handsets lying around!

I think the biggest need is to get protocol traces taken between the RBS and a
real-world BSC.  Only from those traces we can learn about the vendor-specific
Abis extensions.  Especialy the OML is typically full of vendor-specific stuff, and we need OML for the early bringup of the BTS.

I will try to get some, but I am not sure if I can.  In any case, if you have
some option to get protocol traces, I am willing to look into adding RBS support.