Ericsson RBS 2401 Status

Caleb Pal cleb at defcon-3.net
Mon Sep 14 02:03:53 UTC 2009

Hello all,

Just thought I would give everyone an update on my progress with the
Ericsson RBS. I got a T1 card, a Digium TE122P
(http://www.digium.com/en/products/digital/te122.php). This card support
E1/T1/J1. The 2401 I have only supports T1, otherwise I would have gotten a
HFC based chipset that OpenBSC supports.

The TE122P uses the DAHDI drivers, which used to be Zaptel. In reading
through the list archives, I found a couple tidbits about Zaptel.

The first was back in February  from Harald:
http://lists.gnumonks.org/pipermail/openbsc/2009-February/000023.html. I
didn't see any updates after that. Were there updates made to make the
integration with other drivers easier?

The next I found was in March from Klaus-Peter Junghann:
http://lists.gnumonks.org/pipermail/openbsc/2009-March/000064.html. It looks
like he actually got the Zaptel driver to work. I'm not sure how much of
Zaptel has changed when the driver set was renamed to DAHDI. I did not see a
post from Mr. Junghann with the zaptel input module he spoke of.

I'm not sure what the interest level is with getting OpenBSC to integrate
with Ericsson RBS's? Like I previously mentioned, I am not much of a coder,
so I can't help much in that department. That being said, I am willing to
provide remote access to all the resources I have here (Debian Linux 5.0
Server, RBS 2401, Windows LMT). I can also provide access to a spec an
(which would be accessed via software on the Windows LMT) if needed down the
road. I am going to look into a STA to test on a couple ARFCN's in the
GSM1900 band, and I am more than willing to help with handset debugging at
that stage. I have quite a few different handsets lying around!

Thanks much,

Caleb