Running an licensed experimental GSM network at 26c3

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Oct 11 09:19:07 UTC 2009

Hi Alexander,

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 09:33:31PM +0400, Alexander Chemeris wrote:

> We'll bring one or two our USRPs for OpenBTS testing even if David Burgess
> won't be able to come, and we would love to be located near OpenBSC guys
> and you. But that'll be our first time at 26C3 and we're little bit
> lost - should we send some request to get the space?

I think the process for applying for tablespace in the hackcenter has not yet
started.

Meanwhile I've created a http://events.ccc.de/congress/2009/wiki/index.php/GSM
wiki page where we can add stuff to, similar to the 25C3 and HAR2009.

> Do you have an option for VoIP link rather then E1?

As indicated, I am really not interested in this.  My general interest in any
actual voice switching is extremely low.  I have two objectives with regard to
OpenBSC at the 26C3:

* operate a functional network that interconnects with the DECT network of
  the POC (due to popular demand)
* do some more experimentation with security related aspects of GSM related
  signalling

I don't really see the point of having any kind of additional interfaces for
voice data at the 26C3 installation.  I don't see a technical challenge there,
I think it only increases the network complexity in case something needs to be
debugged.

Playing with the asterisk or lcr integration of OpenBSC and hooking it up to
some other VoIP-based or -gatewayed system like OpenBTS is something that can
be done at any time, at any place, by anyone who is interested in doing that.

Please don't misunderstand me.  David knows how friendly I am with regard to
OpenBTS, and that there is no sense of "competition" or anything like that.
I am very interested in technical discussions of GSM signalling, or at
interfacing OpenBSC and OpenBTS on a GSM signalling level.

But simply passing around transcoded voice samples in a VoIP protocol between
two autonomous GSM networks is about the most boring thing I can imagine.  VoIP
protocols are well understood, there are dozens of open source projecst in that
area, each with their own community.  I happily let somebody else do that.

So if Andreas and you decide you want to hook up OpenBTS and OpenBSC over VoIP,
please go ahead and do so.  But this is unrelated to the 26C3 GSM network and I
expect you will interfere neither with the 26C3 GSM network, nor with the
public networks.