Running an licensed experimental GSM network at 26c3

David A. Burgess dburgess at jcis.net
Mon Oct 12 01:49:29 UTC 2009

Harald, Alexander -

On Oct 11, 2009, at 2:19 AM, Harald Welte wrote:

> So if Andreas and you decide you want to hook up OpenBTS and
> OpenBSC over VoIP,
> please go ahead and do so.  But this is unrelated to the 26C3 GSM
> network and I
> expect you will interfere neither with the 26C3 GSM network, nor
> with the
> public networks.

My personal opinion, for whatever it's worth: Based on our experience
trying to coexist with Commnet Wireless at Burning Man, I would say
that trying to run two experimental networks in the same place
without cross-roaming will be confusing for the test users and a big
mess for the operators.  OpenBSC has their own agenda for the 26c3
test network, a second network would probably interfere with that
agenda.  I see the Congress as OpenBSC's "home turf", where they get
to set the agenda.  I'd very much like to cooperate somehow if
there's an advantage from doing so, but I don't see 26c3 as the right
opportunity.

(BTW - I still don't know if I will be attending, but whether or not
there's an OpenBTS network running probably doesn't alter that
decision.  It's great to meet in person and I miss the smell of Club
Mate.)

-- David

David A. Burgess
Kestrel Signal Processing, Inc.