UMA a possibility in the future?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Jul 31 20:58:46 UTC 2009

Hi Dakota.

> Hi, I'm a long time lurker into this project and I've wondered something for
> a bit of time.Knowing that we can use an ip.access nanoBTS to work on
> OpenBSC, why not adapt OpenBSC for UMA (unlicensed mobile access)
> standards?

That could very well be an option.  I have not looked into UMA as I only
know it as a buzzword.

> To me it seems like it'd be trivial to make a derived copy of OpenBSC with
> UMA support up and running, but I'd like some other thoughts into this
> matter. I'm not a programmer by any means here, so if this is impossible,
> well, then so be it.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but: In Open Source projects, features
typically get added because somebody has a need and actually implements
them :)

For myself, I don't have such a need and I think there are many much more
important GSM feature that OpenBSC needs, i.e. stable SMS support, independent
media gateway process, GPRS support, intra/inter-BSC handover, BSC/MSC
functional split, A-interface, A3/A5/A8 support, ...  so it's not like we're
going to run out of ideas what we could do anytime soon.

Also, for most people involved with OpenBSC, it is one of many projects they are
involved in - so the amount of time we can and want to spend on it is limited.

Cheers,