TDMA frame, Time slot and speech data transfer confusion.

Nordin bouchtaoui at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 09:51:59 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I read Goller's documentation "About the GSM-Dm-Channels", but I'm a bit
confused about something.
I understand that one TDMA frame has a period of 4.615 ms and consists
of 8 Time slots, each of a period of 576.9 us. When a MS registers to
the BTS, it gets one Time-slot, but how is speech transfered? Normally
the Fs (samplefrequency) is 8 KHz, this means every 128 us one byte
sample. If I have one timeslot of let's say 577 us , than there is a gap
of 7 other timeslots, which makes a 4 ms gap. Also the speech data is
compressed. How is that damn speech data multiplexed with other MSs and
finally received on the other side as 8 bit samplevalue at a rate of 128
us (8 KHz).

It gets fuzzy to me, cause I wrote a microcontroller project which,
among other things, samples audio and than transfered to a GSM module.
This is done at 8 KHz samplerate, so how is that done when I have only
one TimeSlot of 577 us every 4 ms period?
I can't find a good link about how several MSs on one ARFCN can send and
receive speech data.

Thank you.