UMA a possibility in the future?

Dakota C dakota.courtois at labsone.net
Wed Jul 29 03:28:18 UTC 2009

Hi, I'm a long time lurker into this project and I've wondered something for
a bit of time.Knowing that we can use an ip.access nanoBTS to work on
OpenBSC, why not adapt OpenBSC for UMA (unlicensed mobile access)
standards?
I know over here in the US we currently use UMA with T-Mobile over WiFi to
communicate back to the T-Mobile servers and eventually off to the GSM and
regular ol' networks.

http://www.umatechnology.org/specifications/index.htm is the UMA
specification, and to my knowledge T-Mobile US's @Home service uses the
1.0.3 protocol revision.

To me it seems like it'd be trivial to make a derived copy of OpenBSC with
UMA support up and running, but I'd like some other thoughts into this
matter. I'm not a programmer by any means here, so if this is impossible,
well, then so be it.

-DC