[op25-dev] suggestion: logging output

John Ackermann N8UR jra@febo.com [op25-dev] op25-dev at yahoogroups.com
Mon Jul 17 14:20:41 UTC 2017

In normal operation, it seems that stderr.2 captures mainly messages
retuning to the control channel (which is what helped me catch the issue
noted in my other message, so that's not all bad).

But I think it would be very useful to have the option to log each
channel/talkgroup handoff (I'm not sure of the terminology).  In
particular, building a list of talkgroups would be handy to identify
ones that don't have tags.

I don't know the difficulty involved, I think it would be really nice to
include something like this:

1434343.003423423   frequency: 853.500 talkgroup: 57234

for each handoff.  You could then use command line tools (cut, sort,
uniq) to build up channel and talkgroup lists.

For extra credit, do this at different debug levels.  For example,
default would print only tuning errors and other things that need user
attention.  Then at -v 5 print handoffs, at -v 6 print handoffs plus
control channel, and leave -v 10 and above as-is.  Or maybe add a new
command line option to specify the output file.

I'm willing to work on this.  If I have time, I'll play around with it
this week.  I will happily accept hints on how to go about it.

73,
John