Osmocom Village at CCC Camp 2019

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Jul 29 18:55:29 UTC 2019

Hi Neels,

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 05:12:11PM +0200, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> I am noting possible duplication in effort preparing the camp as well as
> digital infrastructure.  Apparently bibor and lynxis aim to manage wiki etc on
> code.fe80.eu and the event-orga ML, and Osmocom to be part of the Singularity
> City. In contrast, this Osmocom Village mail seems to suggest a separate
> village and wiki+ML. I also at some point noted separate efforts made by
> different people for setting up a large Osmocom tent, IIUC.

I think the "problem" here is that we have two disjunct communities:

1) The wider "Osmocom and friends" community, consisting of people related to
   Osmocom projects unrelated to GSM/cellular, but even reaching into the gnuradio
   crowd, who had historically also been sharing the Osmocom village.  This is about
   bringing together people working on various SDR / communications related topics
   for "hanging out, chatting, ...".  As I wrote before, people have reached out to
   me about this for months.

2) The "post LaF0rge" team operating the 2G/3G network at CCC events.  I see that
   as a rather "production oriented" team which has to work closely with the POC,
   etc. and which shouldn't be bothered/distracted by people who are not
   involved in that.

> I'm not sure how to consolidate, but I get the strong feeling that bibor,
> lynxis and laforge should talk about the camp preparations to avoid "aneinander
> vorbeireden", confusion and redundant efforts ... ?

I'm always open to discuss, but after months of public posts on this
ando ther mailing lists, I'm not sure what there is to add.  In short:

* both villages are now part of Singularity City
* Osmocom Village has no separate tent/infrastructure but people will
  hang out at the singularity city hackcenter.