Osmocom Village at CCC Camp 2019

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Jul 29 15:12:11 UTC 2019

I am noting possible duplication in effort preparing the camp as well as
digital infrastructure.  Apparently bibor and lynxis aim to manage wiki etc on
code.fe80.eu and the event-orga ML, and Osmocom to be part of the Singularity
City. In contrast, this Osmocom Village mail seems to suggest a separate
village and wiki+ML. I also at some point noted separate efforts made by
different people for setting up a large Osmocom tent, IIUC.

I'm not sure how to consolidate, but I get the strong feeling that bibor,
lynxis and laforge should talk about the camp preparations to avoid "aneinander
vorbeireden", confusion and redundant efforts ... ?

~N

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 06:54:04PM +0200, Harald Welte wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I've been asked by a number of pepole about a possible Osmocom village at the
> CCC Camp 2019.  I personally didn't really have any plans, but given related
> e-mails and "encouragement" I went ahead and registered an "Osmocom Village",
> see
> 	https://signup.c3assemblies.de/assembly/3b8f7aa2-95d5-4c44-aadc-de8f2680e9c3
>
> I also created a wiki page (as nobody else did, despite earlier discussion on IRC,
> SCNR) for coordinating related efforts at
> 	https://osmocom.org/projects/osmo-dev-con/wiki/CCC_Camp_2019
>
> One of the bigger questions is about having a tent as well as some tables/benches
> to sit on and work.  The Camp orga team nas been negotiating rates with a tent
> rental company, but to be honest I'm rather surprised by the extremely steep
> pricing.  The smallest possible tent (6m x 3m) would cost 825 EUR.  I'm not
> sure we want to raise that amount of money?  Even if we'd be 10 people sharing
> it, its still 82.50 EUR per person.  And that excludes any tables/chairs.
>
> I'm attaching the relevant parts of a mail from the assemblies orga team FYI.
>
> Please note there also is some kind of fragmentation / overlap with the
> team planning to run the GSM/3G networks at the camp, see Lynxis'
> related post at
> https://lists.osmocom.org/mailman/private/osmocom-event-orga/2019-June/000362.html
>
> It's questionable whether it makes sense to have tow distinct
> 'villages', but given that e.g. I don't know anyone of that singularity
> city, I'm not sure if we'd either be welcome there, nor whether we'd
> want to associate us with them?  Also, while the GSM network operation
> for sure has good reasons to mingle with the POC and whatever facilities
> they have, I'm not sure if the wider Osmocom community attendees
> unrelated to the GSM network operation wouldn't just be a
> disturbance/nuisance.
>
> In the end, to be honest, I personally do not feel I have the time and
> mental capacity to take on any additional tasks in terms of organizing
> anything.  I just created the entry in c3assemblies as I was asked to,
> and I similarly created the related mailing list and wiki page.
>
> So please, anyone interested in making an Osmocom village happen one way
> or another, step up [and continue this discussion on the
> camp2019-village at lists.osmocom.org mailing list, without crossposting
> everywhere else :)
>
> Regards,
> 	Harald
> --
> - Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/
> "Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
>                                                   (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)

> Ticket sale is over. There are no more tickets available. There will be no ticket sale on site. That means
> you should know how many will join your village. In the next days we start planning the placing of the
> [...]

- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/
* Alt-Moabit 93
* 10559 Berlin, Germany
* Geschäftsführer / Managing Directors: Harald Welte