osmocom-bb installation help

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon May 14 19:43:16 UTC 2018

Hi Nikos,

On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 04:09:47AM +0300, Nikos Balkanas wrote:
> According to the src/README.building file, I should get the arm toolchain
> from gnuarm.com
> This should be updated, gnuarm.com doesn't have any downloads any more.
> Instead I installed gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi from ubuntu reps

Won't work, sorry.  You need the specific toolchain, see

https://osmocom.org/projects/baseband/wiki/GnuArmToolchain
also note
https://osmocom.org/issues/1916

> 1) normal gcc seems to support x-compiling for arm CPUs. Why not use that?

if it was that simple, we wouldn't have to rely on one specific old toolchain.

The OsmocomBB code was simply developed 8 years ago, and while lots of
people ar very enthusiastic about using it, not one such user has been
bothering over the coures of 8 years to invest the time to port the code
to more modern toolchains :/

The biggest knwon problem is  about the fact that GNU binutils changed
their features/syntax for the linkerscripts, see
https://osmocom.org/issues/1917

> 2) Your stock Makefile tests for CROSS_HOST against arm-elf-gcc. This
> should be updated to test also against arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc from
> gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi package

No, it should not be updated, as it won't match a toolchain/compiler that will
produce a working binary.

> 3) configure warnings:
> configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --disable-tests, --disable-tests.
> Should be disabled if not supported any more
> checking for arm-linux-gnueabi-mt... no
> checking for mt... mt
> configure: WARNING: using cross tools not prefixed with host triplet
> Is there a problem to use the OS mt?

It would be helpful if you could explain which "configure" are you
talking about? There are a total of _7_ configure scripts in the
osmocom-bb source tree.

> 4) configure asks for libosmovty >= 0.10.0. libosmovty is part of
> libosmocore. Latest libosmocore master provides libosmovty 0.9.0.16-abc4:(

Again, *which* configure?  Also, are you talking about a requirement for
libosmcoore on the host or on the target?

The libosmocore included in the osmocom-bb.git repository is *ONLY FOR
CROSS-COMPILATION TO THE TARGET* as is stated very clearly in
README.building.  Also, the master makefile will not do that.

As written already earlier, libosmocore.git contains a version >= 0.10.0
for more than six months.  Please make sure you understand your build
process and ensure you are not using outdated source code to build, or
building against outdated installs of libosmocore that may still be
somewhere installed in your search paths.

btw: the OpenSUSE package feeds by Martin Hauke contain builds of a suitable
cross-compiler as well as pre-compiled omsocom-bb firmware:
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:mnhauke:osmocom:nightly

This is not available in the official osmocom Debian builds.  We're
always happy to merge related contributions, though.