OsmocomBB MNCC socket implementation without LCR

Gerard Pinto gerardfly9 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 07:08:49 UTC 2017

Hi Herald,

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate you taking out time from your
schedule.
Just a couple of things I would like to share since my interest grew in
telecom.

1) Have you or your team tried to reverse engineer/hacking Over the Air OTA
spec - firmware upgrade (understanding this type of communication) using
OpenNITB and latest phones where bootloaders are locked?

- I was planning to try this! But now I will take up merging osmo-sim-auth
and py-sim. (I'm not a great dev but I'm passionate about osmocom and
willing to contribute my time to learning/contributing the same).

2) I have been trying something different with OsmocomBB, osmo-sim-auth and
Tor lately - I would like to hear your views on the same.
 Attack Model: Geo-Location Anonymous calling in GSM.

1. The attacker uses OsmocomBB phone to make a call using a sim card
service. (No sim card present in the phone).
2. For this, I have taken the SIM card outside OsmocomBB and re-written all
SIM API's in osmo-sim-auth (which is the sim card service).
3. This sim card service is deployed over Tor network, so no one can
actually know the location of the SIM card service.
4, The osmocombb connects to the network and uses this sim card service for
authentication etc.
5. The whole setup of calling etc is initiated by the sim card service,
which is itself behind Tor.

6. Now, This SIM card service can be used my multiple phones, so now you
are not exactly going to track the phone since if I use the SIM card
service to another phone (cell area) the DB entry in VLR has changed which
says the location has changed.
7. My experiments worked well on a LIVE network, understanding the delay in
Tor the network, still, the BTS was accepting RES response challenge from
the SIM card service behind Tor - I still have to calculate the exact max
acceptable delay in sending RES back to BTS to confirm this!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,
Gerard