gerrit for osmocom-bb

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 21:13:10 UTC 2017

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 10:01 PM, Sylvain Munaut <246tnt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> One issue that I fear is that I see very little activity outside of the
>> sysmocom team in gerrit in terms of review.  I had the feeling this was
>> better while posting patches still on the mailing lists.  I'm not sure
>> there is a causality.
>
> I'm not sure if it's just me or if I'm using it wrong but I'm always
> annoyed when I have to login to gerrit ...
>
> 1) I shouldn't be logged out at all ... it's not a high security stuff
> that session should be kept open for a long time, like > 1 week
> without issues ...
> 2) I have to retype the openid login url. I mean there is a login with
> Yahoo and login with Launchpad Id dedicated link, isn't there a way to
> add, "login with your osmocom redmine account" link ?
> 3) Then I'm redirected to redmine, where I have to login as well,
> because again for some reason I've been logged out. Same comment as
> above, unless I explicitely log out, that session should last for ever
> pretty much ...
> 4) When I then login to redmine, I get redirected to the OpenID end
> point but at this point the "open id state" or whatever has been lost
> and so I need to go back to gerrit and re-do the whole login process
> so it can do it in one go without being interrupted by the redmine
> login process and finally log me into gerrit ...
>
> I can assure you I gave up on the whole process more than one time ....

I agree with this sentiment. I haven't gave up on the process those
few times I did a review, but I still find it very annoying that I
need to re-login every time, especially given the process is not so
straightforward. It would be nice if my login lasted forever.

Another reason is that by default you're subscribed only to patches
you're explicitly mentioned in. So unless you make a conscious
decision to enable notifications about all patches, you won't even
notice there is something to review. And then you have to figure out
how to enable this. So it may help if you was offered to select
project you're interested in during user registration and you're
subscribed to all patches from those projects.

Alexander Chemeris.
CTO/Founder, Fairwaves, Inc.
https://fairwaves.co