OsmocomBB hardware migration to SDR

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 13:30:42 UTC 2016

Hi Vadim,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Вадим Яницкий <axilirator at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fortunately, there are many SDR platforms available now. Especially interesting
> devices are USRP, UmTRX, bladeRF, and recently introduced LimeSDR. They can be
> easily programmed to support just about any type of wireless standard, of course,
> including some mobile telecommunication stacks. As well as for network side back-end,
> they can be used to perform MS side operations, excepting frequency-hopping and some
> phone specific features (like SIM I/O).

Btw, the first release of XTRX (http://xtrx.io) will have a SIM
driver, so it'll be possible to connect it directly to a SIM card
slot, as per the miniPCIe standard. If users will find this feature
useful for users, it'll make it to the final release.

> So, I think there is a way to bring a new live to, amazing child of the Osmocom
> umbrella, OsmocomBB. We can make one work on SDR hardware platforms implementing
> a 'bridge' between both already implemented L2/L3 and OsmoTRX.

Also note an 'ms' branch of osmo-trx. It's not a full functionality
required for an MS and the code is pretty dated, but it's close enough
to start.

> I know that there
> already was some attempts (see sylvain/ms-sdr branch) to make described dreams
> come true, but development was stopped. And now I am going to start to work around
> this direction.

It was a combination of circumstances that work was not finished and I
would totally support an effort to finish it.

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves, Inc.
https://fairwaves.co