Decoding AMR

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Feb 28 11:37:09 UTC 2013

Dear Akib,

I think it is best if you start to read the actual relevant GSM
specifications if you want to implement part of it.   The key word to
search for is probably the 'active code mode set'.

At any given point in time, there can only be a set of four active
codecs in an AMR connection.  The codec currently used within that set
is selected with CMI/CMR bits on the L1 of the air interface.   The
selection of which four codecs are part of the currently active set is
explicitly configured by signalling messages on RSL between BTS and BSC,
as well as on Layer3 (RR) between BSC and MS.