How much protection does an add-on GSM modem give me vs. built into phone ?

Peter Zotov whitequark at whitequark.org
Thu Oct 4 11:15:09 UTC 2012

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli писал 04.10.2012 15:07:
> On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 14:53:08 +0400
> Peter Zotov <whitequark at whitequark.org> wrote:
>
>> Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli писал 04.10.2012 14:26:

>> gives
>> there

>> > In some yes, in some no... it depend on how the smartphone was
>> > designed:
>> >
>> > On one end some smartphones (openmoko GTA02,golden delicious
>> > GTA04), the
>> > baseband is isolated(tough on GTA04 it has access to a GPS with no
>> > antenna(so it can't work)) . And on the other end there are
>> > smartphones
>> > with qualcomm System on a chip...where the modem and the CPU are
>> in
>> > a single chip:
>> > The modem part has the audio DSP connected to it, the GPS.
>> > And the baseband uses shared RAM memory and shared NAND(if I
>> > remember well)...
>> > And I'm not sure but maybe the baseband is even needed for booting
>> > the
>> > main CPU...
>> >
>> > There are also systems in between like the galaxy S/Neuxs S that
>> > uses shared memory but do not have other problems...
>>
>> In addition to the above, there are some phones where baseband is
>> completely
>> submissive to the AP, namely Galaxy SII. Basically it's exactly the
>> same
>> as the USB dongle situation, but the dongle is integrated on the
>> phone's
>> PCB.
> Did you check what the modem transport was(shared memory, high speed
> serial etc...)?
>
> Denis.

HSIC. It's basically USB but with a slightly altered physical layer to
acommodate the unusual topology.
http://www.synopsys.com/dw/dwtb/hsic_usb2_device/hsic_usb2_device.html

There is no shared memory or, in fact, any other connections between BP
and interfaces of the phone. Audio is transferred via the same USB, for
example.

GPS technically has some relation with the BP, I'm not absolutely sure
which precisely, but you can a) upload reference SiRF firmware to the
GPS,
thus rendering any changes Samsung put to the latter void and b) AP
controls !RESET pins of both GPS and BP. It's trivial to not allow both
run simultaneously.

--
   WBR, Peter Zotov.