Why not a nexus chipset ?

Mh mhtajik at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 23:21:39 UTC 2012

 Correct , "Dead End" . if you are aiming at somewhat "All Layers Open for All" in any of Industrialized Telecom Standards , like GSM , UMTS , LTE -- you are either alone or one of the already huge Cartel vendors , the usual suspects . i am specifically referring to business-oriented closed-circuit cold-blooded capitalistic side of the issue . it is big bucks and involves elements of serious power . like Oil business , you simply can not dig a whole and start a shop today . a whole layers of politics and beneficiaries are involved to stop you doing that . internationally recognized organizations like ITU , also , for more or less same reasons do not let some one man  company or a small scale team who is not already in bed with big players to go solo , and be available everywhere .

Note that i am not in essence , talking about "Security" , whatever that means to you or the next person . you might be well , or feel safe , with your standards under your treat model for your whole life using primitives like 2Gs . in fact i believe this is valid for , figuratively speaking , 99.9 of consumers . it is import an to differentiate between Patents , Licenses , Lobbying for money and ownership all the way down to technical details of how to implement some A5/3 efficient code that can not be tempered with by an evil rouge element in or mitm the network that cancels the whole point for good .

you will not reach to a widely usable phone , that all the details of it is free and open by all means . business , export restrictions , regulations and shareholders are responsible for that , good or bad . you CAN define specifics of a secure system based on your priorities and test and certify to see if it fits your criteria or not on the other hand . what society you belong to ?

- Freedom of software warriors
- Political Activist , Reporter in a Hostile environment or some Humanitarian effort type
- Business opportunity research
- Military and Dark ops
- Finance with 7+ figure daily account exchange
- a dude with 007s up his ass after leakage of those topless pix
- a Kind smily average father
- into white slavery , drug smuggling , dark international arms sales

Secure and "Feel Alright" might have different interpretations in each group but that "Open" mobile phone internationally available , legal and realistic is as you put it correctly , a Dead end.

M.