Tooling up for osmocom, gnuradio, and android ... suggestions ?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Jul 21 09:08:20 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

I really would like to stop this to go too far off-topic, but:

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 05:34:21PM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> The osmocom projects and GNU radio are quite volatile, frequently
> changing, and more or less require staying constantly on the bleeding
> edge to get the most out of the projects, and to be able to
> contribute back of course!
>
> Very few distributions are equipped to handle anything bleeding edge,
> and in particular binary based distributions are useless, because you
> have to wait for someone else to build that last commit. Not what you
> want.

I'm not really sure how those two relate.  I regularly build all of the
osmoocom code on Debian stable (which is known for its ancient
versions).  So I really don't think we have any dependencies to
something that would not be part of any more or less current
distribution of the last 2-3 years.

So I would think that all of those distributions (source-built or binary
based) are equally well equipped to build and use any of the osmocom
projects on them.