Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Pierre Pronchery khorben at defora.org
Tue Jan 31 23:27:31 UTC 2012

			Hi,

(sorry for not participating earlier)

On 27/01/2012 14:14, Fabio Pasini wrote:
> [...]
> So far, it seems that Motorola/Compal C1xx have more adepts:
> - Peter Stuge - Dec 11, 2011; 12:11pm
> - Andreas Eversberg - Dec 11, 2011; 3:18pm
> - Scott Weisman - Dec 12, 2011; 8:17am
> Did I missed someone?

my impression would be that the truly embedded solution is the most
sustainable approach, or certainly the one with fewer uncertainties with
regard to hardware quality and availability. I feel comforted in this
direction when I see the current progress, as blogged by Harald recently:
http://laforge.gnumonks.org/weblog/2012/01/28/#20120128-osmocombb_rssi

On the other hand, I am very interested by supporting the Openmoko
Freerunner, having already written a complete embedded telephony
environment for this platform (with interchangeable telephony backend).
See https://trac.hackable1.org/trac/wiki/DeforaOSSmartphone for more
details.

Considering this, I would say that what matters most would be an
easy-to-(re)use API to interact with the telephony subsystem, regardless
of its presence on a separate chip or not. Then both approaches would be
likely, and it should even be easier to hunt and catch bugs.

Easier said than done, but HTH nonetheless.

khorben