Channel info

John Orlando john at epiq-solutions.com
Sun Jan 30 18:28:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:59 AM, <mad at auth.se> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:34:01 -0600, John Orlando wrote:
>

>> It is up to the network to decide what ID type it wants to use to page
>> a mobile, and this is dependent on a number of factors.  Almost
>> always it uses the TMSI, sometimes IMSI, and _very_ rarely an IMEI.
>>

> In gsm 04.08 9.1.22.3 it says "The Mobile Identity 1 and 2 IEs shall  not
> refer to IMEI.". So a standard compliant network should never do that.
>
> Have you actually seen that on any live network?

Hmm...I stand corrected regarding the use of IMEI to page the mobile in
GSM.  It should only be TMSI or IMSI.  I was mixing up the GSM paging
options with the Iridium satellite phone paging options (where the IMEI can
be used to page the mobile in some situations).  Too many standards to
remember...

--
John Orlando
CEO/System Architect