Channel info

mad at auth.se mad at auth.se
Sun Jan 30 19:21:37 UTC 2011

 On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:32:04 +0100, Steve Markgraf wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> On 30.01.2011 19:05, Steve Markgraf wrote:
>
>>> In gsm 04.08 9.1.22.3 it says "The Mobile Identity 1 and 2 IEs
>>> shall not
>>> refer to IMEI.". So a standard compliant network should never do
>>> that.
>
>> "The reason why you see paging by IMSI in real-world GSM networks"
>
> Sorry, I confused IMEI/IMSI. Forget about my last message, although
> Haralds blogpost may still be interesting in the context of this
> thread.

 No, you were right about that, second part of my post was about imsis
 on air.

 I already had read Haralds post but I'm not fully convinced of all of
 his
 explainations. At least not on modern state-of-the-art core networks.
 Too less ram or volatile storage on restarting VLRs, is that really
 still an
 issue there?

 The third point, that expired tmsis on unreachable phones with a
 fallback on
 imsi paging as the main cause sounds much more convincing to me.

 But as David pointed out, 10-25% imsi paging is a lot, even about
 constant
 2-5% as I observed are much for a location area or whole msc area.
 Did anyone do some research on that?

 Regards,
   Mad