Mediatek MT6235 status (Sciphone G2)

Drasko DRASKOVIC drasko.draskovic at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 14:52:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Marius Cirsta <mforce2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  From what I understand MT6235 has just one ARM926EJS processor and a
> DSP.  This probably means that the it runs both the application and
> the GSM stack on a single CPU , right ?
>  I read in an article about Symbian that it's able to do this because
> it's a realtime OS but to my knowledge Linux is not ( hence the GSM
> stack runs on a second processor in Android phones ). Now I also know
> there's a realtime Linux kernel but the question is would it be
> possible to run both the application and GSM stack together on the
> MT6235 under Linux.
>  Please excuse my question if they're newbish.

Under Linux probably not, under RT Linux maybe. Depends on the amount
of work done by DSP, CPU load by applications etc... Nothing prevents
you to implement stack and applications handling on the single CPU
except performance limitations (but you should have in mind memory
isolation, security issues, etc).

As a matter of fact, what becomes more and more attractive now days
are L4 hypervisors, which could separate BB and APP system in the
separate containers, running on the same CPU.

BR,
Drasko

BR,
Drasko