simtrac hw

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Nov 21 22:29:10 UTC 2010

Hi Peter and others,

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 08:56:44PM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote:
> > - the AT91SAM7SXXX
>
> I'd use a more modern chip that is simpler to work with; something
> like NXP LPC1343 Cortex-M3 with USB or TI Stellaris LM36432 with
> 10/100 Ethernet. They're both single supply 3.3V chips. The NXP only
> needs five-size passive support components.

no, no, no, no ;)

There is working firmware (drivers, T=0 sniffing, ...) for the AT91SAM7 now, I
put quite a bit of effort into making this work.  Furthermore, the
AT91SAM7 USART has the unique property that you can use it in T=0 mode but
still operate as clock slave, i.e. run as sniffer or card mode, not behaving
like a card reader.

We really do not need any external logic, simply connect the SIM card to the
right pins of the SAM7, load the (gpl licensed, of course) firmware that I
wrote and run the equally free software 'simtrace' host program + wireshark.

Porting this to a different microcontroller will again require significant
development on the software side, which I don't think is what we need...