SIMtrace v0.7

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun May 8 18:04:29 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 05:00:59PM +0200, Kevin Redon wrote:
> Hi
>
> The corrections have been applied. I hope I did not forget anything.

thanks a lot.

> The main changes :
> - reset is a jumper

just to be precies: it's the TEST pin, not RESET (schematics is ok!)

> - bootloader switch added

see my comment from the last mail

> - 100k resistors used (instead of 4.7k, I hope it does not break anything)

yes, it should work.  and if we run into problems, it's very easy to
solder different resistors to the same footprint.

> - jack connector added (for the debug)
> - WP from flash connected

great.  Does the SAM7 have an internal pull-down on nWP?  If not, we
should add one, just to be sure the power-up default state is LOW.

> - USB voltage regulator TPS73633 used (lower capacitance)

Ok, let's try that one.

> - USB buffer used instead of the openPCB solution (thus no pull-up and
> reset connection). saves space and complexity

I am not familiar with USB buffers?  How do they work?  I couldn't find
a data sheet for USBBUF02 or USBBUF02W6.  Also, I don't see how this
solves the problem, sorry.

Some more explanation:

When the AT91SAM7 is reset (software-reset or hardware-reset), it needs
to generate a USB bus reset in order to tell the host PC to
re-enumerate.  This is required as the SAM7 has no information about the
USB protocol state before the ARM CPU was reset.

The other reason is: When we switch from DFU into normal mode (or the
other way around), we again need to be able to issue a USB reset from
software (via GPIO) and ask the host to re-enumerate.  This is required
as we expose different interface/configuration descriptors depending on
DFU / normal mode.

So I don't really see a choice but to have a software-controlled USB
reset option.  Once again, we know that this part is working in OpenPCD
0.4 (we had a couple of earlier versions, and they all had some
shortcomings).  It's really useful to have both the nRESET as well as
the GPIO controlled usb-pullup (called UDP_PUP) in OpenPCD.

If we don't do this properly, we will have to disconnect/reconnect the
device from USB very often.  Doing this from software is much easier and
fail-proof.

> - QS3244 instead of QS3245 used, I/O and other pins are controlled
> separately

great.