high ksoftirqd while using module gtp?

chiefy chiefy.padua at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 10:26:51 UTC 2019

Dear All,

To update you on investigations.

If your want to push throughput even further I recommend if your
running hypervisor's or others to enable SR-IOV on the network cards.

Naturally your network cards need to support SR-IOV (check your tech
specs). And in the case of virtualisation SR-IOV might require
licensing from the vendor.

This does need some changes to both changes to BIOS settings on your
hardware (to enable sr-iov vt-x/vt-d (or iommu if your amd)).

You will also have to configure your hypervisors to support sr-iov.

You need to configure your vm guests to also to use your newly
presented network cards (VF).

Dont over allocate vf in your physical nic cards via sr-iov, you might
run out of interrupts :-D

You will see even better throughput, reducing latency, power
consumption and lower resource utilisation on your hypervisors.

Hope this helps.