MS behavior with dysfunctional GPRS

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri May 27 06:41:23 UTC 2016

Hi Max,

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 11:31:23AM +0200, Max wrote:
> What would be expected behavior for MS in this scenario?

I'm not entirely sure what the expected behavior is.

> Shall it switch to alternative network in hope of getting promised GPRS?

If it is a PS-only device, this might make sense. Not sure if it is
mandated anywhere.

The problem is if it is a CS + PS device, and if CS registration worked
on the cell, but PS doesn't. In that case I've not seen any phone ever
considering to select a different cell, let aside a different network.

> Shall it hang on the currently camped network providing voice/sms only?
> Which spec(s) cover that? What could be decision factors for the MS? SIM
> entries, some data in SI, some timeout somewhere, smth else?

Cell (re)selection is traditionally specified in 03.22. Not sure where
it got moved later (when transitioning to post-rel99). Not sure why
23.022 was withdrawn, but there is now 23.122 which has superseeded it.
http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/123100_123199/123122/13.04.00_60/ts_123122v130400p.pdf
is the link to the latest release.  But it's quite complex with 2G/3G/4G
and all the optional features like ProSe, CSG, ...

There's also the 2G-only successor of 03.22: 43.022 at
http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/143000_143099/143022/13.00.00_60/ts_143022v130000p.pdf