OsmocomBB full Opensouce?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu May 4 07:14:35 UTC 2017

Hi Anton,

On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 10:11:30PM +0300, Anton Gorbachev wrote:
> If I understood everything correct, osmocombb project consist of all the
> code for GSM stack L1-L3 functionality but Calypdo DSP code is not
> Opensource and layer1.bin ask non-opensource DSP module to do execute L1
> tasks from ghis list:

Correct.  The DSP implements the PHY layer, which is proprietary.

However, as the DSP is ROM code running on a different processor, with
different address space, RAM and instruction set, there
is no issue in terms of GPL licensing.  The GPL-licensed OsmocomBB code
simply instructs the other processor to do what's needed.

> Of cource we can patch DSP and ask it to do whatever we want, like send raw
> bursts to the host, but now osmocombb uses mostly DSP firmware written by
> Texas Instruments, not its own opdnsource.

Correct.  We never claimed that the PHY layer (DSP code) was FOSS.

There was once an university project about creating a software PHY
compatible with OsmocomBB, but unfortunately (like way too often in
academic research) the results were not contributed back as FOSS:
	http://www.benkeser.com/osmophy.pdf

There are some ideas floating around of doing a new run of this using
OsmoTRX as basis, but I don't know if there is any actual progress yet.
Vadim should be able to say more about it.