Some beginner questions and comments

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Jan 25 03:41:44 UTC 2013

Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> > Sure we can - even if it's just a single .a file. Linker search path
> > has nothing to do with an OS, libraries can be used without an OS,
> > and no BSP is needed.
>
> Yes ok, but it's really more of an hassle than an advantage, and then
> if you want to use the same toolchain to build different arm projects
> that need different libosmocore version, that's going to be fun ...

That's what pkg-config is for, and libosmocore already installs a .pc file.

Set PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR in order to pick up the correct libosmocore.
A sane default could maybe be set by the Makefile, meaning that no
special consideration is needed when following the default
recommended build approach as we document on the wiki.

I don't think it makes sense to install libosmocore into the
toolchain's own lib directory.

> it's going to be a bunch of additional step that can be messed up
> and IMHO with _NO_ upsides at all.

I don't think it would be additional user-visible steps, and
internally the steps are still the same.

> I don't see why we would change it

Because building both for host and target would use the same pattern,
and in particular a pattern (pkg-config) which is sadly not well
understood but very handy.

//Peter