develop a software radio front end

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Feb 3 14:15:11 UTC 2012

Hi Jerry,

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 06:56:16PM +0800, Jerry Giant wrote:

> Proposal to develop a software front end

thanks a lot for proposing to build a SDR frontend for Osmocom and/or
other FOSS communications projects.

However, on my experience, there is much more hardware available than
there is good SDR softmodem / PHY implementations for the various
protocols.

As for hardware, there is Funcube Dongle, the various USRP versions, the
various "USRP like" clones from India and China, UmTRX is being built,
GAPfiller, and last but not least OsmoSDR.

What's much harder thna getting some SDR hardware is getting good,
reliable PHY layer implementations for the various communications
systems.

OpenBTS exists for the GSM Base Station side.  airprobe is much inferior
and can do Rx only.  OsmocomTETRA and OsmocomGMR are both receive-only.

So I would think engineering time is much more required in terms of
building full rx/tx PHY layers for the various systems, from GSM (MS-side),
UMTS/WCDMA (MS and BS side) or even other systems like TETRA, GMR, etc.

I understand you are an electronics engineer and not a software
developer, so I could understand if think working primarily on those PHY
implementations would not be good use of your time...