Sniffing GPRS

Luca Bongiorni luca.bongiorni1 at studenti.unimi.it
Fri Feb 17 13:48:41 UTC 2012

Dario,

> My stimulating ME supports edge, so my fake traffic is not good for tracking. I must find the right phone... do you have some model to suggest? I can find very old phones or very new, but it's hard to find some "medium" that support GPRS and not EDGE :).

Just find an old one that doesn't support GPRS: phones or usb keys.

> [1] http://i41.tinypic.com/20huagj.jpg
>

> That sounds very interesting, since I have a BB. How can you check that your arfcn is not hopping from this menu?

As you can see on the "last GPRS TBF:" section, the only arfcn used for that session was the 983, it means that was not hopping.

About how to activate the field test, just google for it.

P.S.:
Please reply directly on the ml.
About the ARFCN allocation around Italy, is MNO related, so it could just allocate the 983 here as non-hopping and in your city as hopping one. You are on your own about checking which is the best ARFCN (non-hopping) to make tests.

Cheers,
Luca