build system / building for all targets

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat May 7 10:10:00 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 10:04:25AM +0200, Sylvain Munaut wrote:

> The current system of trying to build for all platforms at once is
> unsustainable IMHO and we should just have something like
> make TARGET=compal_e88  make TARGET=sciphone_g2 or something and if
> the TARGET is != from the last built target, just assume everything is
> dirty.

I intentionally did it the way it currently is:  to ensure we don't have
bit-rot of non-building code in the tree.  So whatever we do in the
future, especially with the small code size we deal, I would like to
keep it the way that by default we build every image for every target.

We can have a TARGET=xxx as an option.  This way the user can select to
deviate from the default, i.e. an optimization.

I understand your concern is not about build time but about the fact
that different boards might #define things differently.  This indeed
needs to be fixed, and I think we should then probably put our .o files
out of the source tree, and dynamically create a build-compal_e88
directory which contains all the compiler output for that target.

If anyone wants to work on something like this, I would be happy to
merge the patches.

But from my point of view the default make file target should then still
build all the .c files for all the targets.