RFC: RTOS for Calypso

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon May 16 05:19:13 UTC 2011

Hi Wolfram,

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 10:17:28PM +0200, Wolfram Sang wrote:

> Nuttx is BSD, osmocom code is GPL. So, shall osmocom code for Nuttx
> be relicensed and only the application-repro contain GPL-code

I think all the calypso driver code to get the Soc supported in NuttX
(spi/lcd/i2c/uart/flash/sercomm/...) should eventually go Nuttx upstream
and I have no problem re-licensing that under the BSD-style license.

> (probably no problem for drivers, but what about l1-code)? Or are we
> keeping GPL and keep in sync with upstream on our own (merging could
> get quite ugly if that diverges too much)?

I think the L1 would be two parts: the synchronous part in the FIQ,
and one 'userspace' task (might have multiple threads) for everything
else.

Both should be fine as GPL, and I don't expect major headaches with
keeping it in sync.  The FIQ handler is completely independent from the
RTOS and pre-empts it anywhere.  If Nuttx right now is blocking FIQs, we
should propose to change that in upstream, but still keep the L1S in our
tree.