Mediatek MT6235 status (Sciphone G2)

Drasko DRASKOVIC drasko.draskovic at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 20:04:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 03:52:53PM +0100, Drasko DRASKOVIC wrote:
>
>> As a matter of fact, what becomes more and more attractive now days
>> are L4 hypervisors, which could separate BB and APP system in the
>> separate containers, running on the same CPU.
>
> The only reason why commercial companies (most notably ST-Ericsson) with
> proprietary GSM stacks use this is to make sure they don't have to release any
> of their proprietary code under GPL.

There is always a way to insert your PS code in some FOSS system and
keep it closed. You can use any BSD licensed system.
Apparently with L23 you can do this with Linux, since you are in the
userspace, so you do not have to link with GPL'd kernel. L1 can be a
baremetal app running side by side with your kernel.

I would not say that L4 is used only to close code. It gives you
opportunity to clearly separate several systems running on the same
core, and have them communicate between themselves in a standardized
and secure way. It can also serve as a powerful HAL and can come into
play with security requirements. I think we'll be looking a lot of
into this in the future... but that's just my $0.2.

BR,
Drasko