Regarding the cable from Dealextreme

Dieter Spaar spaar at mirider.augusta.de
Thu Mar 18 08:53:35 UTC 2010

Hello Chris,

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:34:18 +0100, "Christian Vogel" <vogelchr at vogel.cx> wrote:

> Maxim alone has about a dozen variations of the MAX232 (max3232 for 3v3, e.g).
>
> It's much easier to directly go from USB to TTL/3v3 serial ports, the
> basic breakout boards from Sparkfun (e.g.
> http://www.watterott.com/de/FTDI-Basic-Breakout-33V) seem to be fine
> and sell for ?12. Haven't used them on a C123-phone, though.

Thanks for the info. I am a bit old-fashioned when it comes to
serial communication, I prefer to use "real" RS-232 because its
much more predictable with regards to timing. For the USB serial
adpaters it depends on the used interface chip. Of course for
"standard" serial communication where the timing is not critical
an USB serial adapter is just fine.

Best regards,
  Dieter
Dieter Spaar, Germany                           spaar at mirider.augusta.de