disable comitting of files

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 07:51:40 UTC 2010

Hi,

> i like to change some tracked files without committing them. when i do "git
> commit -a", every change is comitted.
>
> sometimes i like to play with layer1 code or even change Makefile.inc, but i
> don't want to reset my changes before committing.
>
> any idea how to create a list of omitted files?

look at the .gitignore file. Since it's checked in, you need to add it
to itself as well ...

Also, you might want to look at 'git citool' to cherry pick what you
want to commit (down to chunk/line selection).
There is also a '-i' interactive commit mode.

Also, in either 'git citool' or by adding the '-v' option to commit,
you can view the changes you're about to commit and I always find that
useful to look at it for a few seconds before committing.

Cheers,

    Sylvain