simtrace2 just sits and does nothing : any suggestions?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu May 30 21:56:02 UTC 2019

Hi Alan,

sorry to hear about your troubles.

My first question would be to do a 'strace' on the remsim-client when
this problem happens.

>From the log file it seems that remsim-client is fully set up,
i.e. it has connected to the server, received instruction to connect
to the bankd and it has established that bankd connection.  It appears
that the client "simply" doesn't receive any APDU from the SAM3S
microcontroller.

The strace would give us certainty about what the remsim-client is doing,
i.e. whether or not it receives something over USB or whether it's in some
endless loop or whatever else.

If remsim-client appears to be fine, we have to look one level deeper: the
simtrace2 cardem firmware running on the SAM3S microcontrollers.

Debugging the microcontroller itself is unfortunately not possible without
a 3.3V UART cable attached to the 3-pin headers of the SAM3S processors (X601,
X701).  I can ship you the required cabling tomorrow, hoping this helps
us further to see what's going on.

Do you have any particular method to reproduce this?  Does it appear related
to a specific sim card?  Does it fail from the beginning or only appear after
some time?  I'm basically looking for any way to gaing more information.

If you'd like to provide remote (SSH) access to a machine where the board
is connected, we could also try to debug that remotely.

Another thing to try would be to use the 'simtrace2-remsim' program from simtrace2.git
(see the sysmoQMOD user manual towards the end) with a local PC/SC reader.   If it
works there, then the bug must be in the osmo-remsim software.

Thanks for your patience.