SIMtrace MITM/emulator

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Aug 9 13:06:56 UTC 2013

Tom Schouten wrote:
> dh = dev.open()

This opens the device.

> dh.claimInterface(0) # -> usb.USBError: could not claim interface 0: Device or resource busy

This tries to claim the interface which is already claimed by usb-serial.

> dh.controlMsg(1,1,[0,0,0,0])

This performs a control request over the default endpoint, which
doesn't belong to any interface at all.

>>> It seems plausible a USB device can only be opened once,
>>
>> That's not the case however.
>
> I see.  I'm confusing device and interface.

Yes.

> So basically, I would add another interface to the USB firmware,
> which then can be claimed by a different process.

You can do control requests without having claimed any interface. If
you add an interface then it might actually work on Windows too, but
I'm not sure.

//Peter