T=0 and T=1 sniffer

Kevin Redon ml at mail.tsaitgaist.info
Tue Nov 13 20:35:30 UTC 2012

Hi,

Excerpts from Roger Jardi Cedó's message of Tue Nov 13 17:45:40 +0100 2012:
> Dear all,
>
> I'am new in this mailing list.
>
> I'am a PhD. student at the University Rovira i Virgili studying smart cards (SC). I would like to log transmitted apdus between reader and SC (like credit card, ID card, sim, etc).
>
> I've recently bought a cheap sniffer (season interface) but I have problems with it, I lose data sniffing any smart card type (iso-7816).
>
> I'm asking if your device (v1.1) is valid for this purpose. Note that v2 would be compatible with credit card sized smart cards (ID-1 and ID-000 smart card slots (with presence detection): so to be able to also sniff credit card sized smart cards).

SIMtrace v2 has no release date and is not currently being developed on. Thus stay with the current version (v1.2).

> However, I've read too that v1.1 is capable to read smart card with both modes (T=0 and T=1) with proper accessories (http://shop.sysmocom.de/products/fullsize-sim-fpc and http://shop.sysmocom.de/products/sim-adapter).

Yes, this is what you need for credit card size connectivity.

> It is possible? With this device, I will log any smart card type?

no, not any. It only supports T=0 and T=1 (with few adjustments).
This protocols are defined in IEC/ISO-7816 part 3.
Other Smart cards can use other protocols (I2C, SPI, …). It may be possible to be compatible with it, but these are not supported by the software.

kevin