7816 implementation in SIMtrace

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri May 18 08:50:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:38:07AM +0300, Eran Duchan wrote:
> Harald,
>
> Thanks for your detailed answer.
>
> > Furthermore, a "passive slave" shall of course not signal any parity
> > error to the master, as it is up to the real slave to determine that.
> > The latter can be explicitly configured in the Atmel USART.
>
> Are you hinting that parity generation will not work when configured
> to be a slave (i.e. external clock)?

No. Please read the data sheet.  In ISO7816 mode you can explicitly
switch that on or off.  I guess they put that in for T=1 support.  Also,
it was my mistake, it is not parity that you're switching, but the
explicit nack in the waiting time after a character.

> > Atmel is known to use the same IP cores in a lot of their chips, and the
> > sam3s is more or less just the sam7s which replaces the arm7tdmi core
> > with a cortex-m3.  There are some other improvements like more USB
> > endpoints, but I haven't seen any indication of changes in the USART.
>
> That makes sense. Has the SAM3S version been prototyped yet? Have you
> seen this functionality work on the SAM3S USART?

no.  They are pin-compatible, so it should be easy to re-work one board
with hot air.  The bigger differences are in the software (arm vs.
thumb2, exception vectors, ...).  I think zecke had done some work here
in the past, but I'm not sure of the status.

> > See Table 7 if ISO 7816-3.  Di > 0x8 is "divide by 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, ..."
> > which is the same as multipliciation by the divisor.
>
> This is rather interesting. I am looking at ISO 7816-3_2006 and there
> are no such values (Table 8: Di[x] = RFU, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 12,
> 20, RFU, RFU, RFU, RFU, RFU, RFU).

I have a paper version of th original spec from 1989, and there it
clearly is stated.