7816 implementation in SIMtrace

Eran Duchan pavius at gmail.com
Fri May 18 08:38:07 UTC 2012

Harald,

Thanks for your detailed answer.

> Furthermore, a "passive slave" shall of course not signal any parity
> error to the master, as it is up to the real slave to determine that.
> The latter can be explicitly configured in the Atmel USART.

Are you hinting that parity generation will not work when configured
to be a slave (i.e. external clock)? As I gathered from looking at the
code and the schema SIMtrace was designed to also support MitM (though
the code is mostly stubs) which would require such a feature towards
the phone.

> Atmel is known to use the same IP cores in a lot of their chips, and the
> sam3s is more or less just the sam7s which replaces the arm7tdmi core
> with a cortex-m3.  There are some other improvements like more USB
> endpoints, but I haven't seen any indication of changes in the USART.

That makes sense. Has the SAM3S version been prototyped yet? Have you
seen this functionality work on the SAM3S USART?

> See Table 7 if ISO 7816-3.  Di > 0x8 is "divide by 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, ..."
> which is the same as multipliciation by the divisor.

This is rather interesting. I am looking at ISO 7816-3_2006 and there
are no such values (Table 8: Di[x] = RFU, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 12,
20, RFU, RFU, RFU, RFU, RFU, RFU). However, this source
(http://www.cardwerk.com/smartcards/smartcard_standard_ISO7816-3.aspx)
does show the values you speak of, but starting at Di > 0x9 (as Di[9]
= RFU). Am I looking at something wrong?

Thanks again!
Eran