hackrf: gr-osmocom sink tx buffering

Sebastian Böhm Sebastian.Boehm at b-tu.de
Tue Dec 1 15:28:46 UTC 2020

Hi,

i try to transmit 2.48 ghz radio packets (beacons) at a fixed time
interval (e.g. every 1 s) via hackrf using the osmocom sink in gnuradio.
Without exception, the beacons are all received by my sniffer "golden
device" hardware, but burst.

It seems that the packets are only transferred via USB to the hackrf
device hardware when the buffer with the fixed BUF_LEN 262144
(32*16*512) is completely filled. For my setup this are e.g. 18 beacon
frames, which are transmitted as burst. When I look at the USB
interface, I can see this burst of data every 18 seconds in a full USB
request block (URB) of  size 262144 byte. All other URBs (also of size
262144 - every approx. 200us) transferred via USB are filled with zeros
only. So this burst behavior should be caused by gnuradio.

How can I achieve that the complex data of the osmocom sink's input is
immediately (with the next URB) transferred to the hackrf hardware? Am I
missing any options of the GRC module?

Thank You in advance!

Regards,
Sebastian

Sebastian Boehm
Brandenburg University of Technology Cottbus - Senftenberg
Computer Networks Communication Systems Group

E-Mail: sebastian.boehm at b-tu.de <mailto:Sebastian.Boehm at b-tu.de>

P.O. Box: 10 13 44
D-03013 Cottbus
GERMANY