Writing a Stand Alone Program Using GNURadio Blocks/Components

Müller, Marcus (CEL) mueller at kit.edu
Tue Mar 5 07:27:38 UTC 2019

Hi Pete,

as much as I like this mailing list, I think discussions on how to
write GNU Radio blocks are best off on the GNU Radio mailing list[1].
GNU Radio has tutorials on how to write your own blocks, both for
blocks written in Python (simplicity) and in C++ (speed/system
programming); you can find them on [2].

How you communicate with your "app" depends on what that is – is it a
separate process continously running, can it be a thread in another
process, or could one understand it as library?

Generally, GNU Radio was (is) meant to be used as library that you can
use from within your program; you'd just call the right GNU Radio
functions from within your program to set up the flow graph, and then
tell GNU Radio to spawn of the processes to run that flow graph, and
then can interact with the signal processing / get the data it
produces. (GQRX is an example of such a programm.)
Whether that is easier for you than running a GNU Radio flow graph as a
separate process interchanging data with your app is hard to tell.

Best regards,
Marus

[1] discuss-gnuradio at gnu.org, sign up on
[2] https://tutorials.gnuradio.org