advice on ham radio operation

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 09:07:04 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm assuming you're talking about fl2k here ?  Please always be
explicit, this mailing list is used by several different SDR projects
and not just fl2k.

> I was contacting to ask if there is any reason that the examples use standalone binaries to interact with the fresco chip rather than writing a library for gnuradio. Did something about gnuradio make the fresco's integration with it impractical? Would I be better off proceeding by writing a gnuradio block for the Fresco sink or a standalone SSB-tx program?

I think it's the other way around ... the fl2k stuff is mostly a
pretty big hack and it eats up huge amount of CPU and that makes it
quite impractical.

I think the examples are all very specific cases because that allow to
optimize them for _exactly_ that application and use a bunch of tricks
to try and reduce the CPU usage to levels that you can actually
sustain. Making a generic GR block sure is possible, but it definitely
will end up being very CPU intensive and as such require beefy machine
to sustain the rate.

Cheers,

    Sylvain